Match Reports‎ > ‎

Ballinkillen v Arklow Rocks - Leinster SHL Round 2

posted 1 Apr 2012, 08:37 by Unknown user   [ updated 23 Apr 2012, 23:37 ]
Ballinkillen 0-22 Arklow Rocks 0-07

Ballinkillen Senior Hurlers had another successful outing in the Leinster League this Saturday evening played in Ballinkillen in perfect conditions. With this performance the team are one result away from a play-off place on the next round. The team started with much the same personnel as the outfit which was successful in the previous round against Dunboyne.

Ballinkillen were on the attack from the throw in which resulted in a wide from Darren Dalton. It did not take long for another attack to produce the first score from play by Andrew Gaul “The Duke” in the second Minute. Arklow had two attacks before Peter Minchin playing at wing forward scoring from play on the 5th with David English slotting over a free on the 6th as a result of the Rocks centre back over carrying the ball from great pressure by the Darren Dalton and Derek Murphy refusing to let him clear his lines. Arklow started their account on the 9th from a free by their corner forward after David English was considered to have committed a third man tackle. Ballinkillen won a free from the puck out which resulted in their second wide by David English from 60 mts out. Arklow attacked from this puck out getting their second wide of the game. On the puck out Martin Minchin picked out Craig Wall on the wing and Craig skinned his opponent carried the ball to the 45 and opened his account for the day.

Arklow responded with two points from their full forward and right corner forward both resulted from mistakes by the back line that in fairness did not make the same errors for the rest of the game.

At this point Ballinkillen had the measure of their opponents and started throwing some good passages of play together, Marty Dalton scoring from the wing, then Duke punished a poor clearance, Sean Murphy stepped up next to win a ball on his 65 power forward and slot the ball over the bar, Darren Dalton stepped in next to convert a perfect pass from Duke on the 20th minute to leave the score 08points to 3 points in favour of Ballinkillen. The good hurling did not stop as the Ballinkillen Half back line were dominant and refused to let much ball through, Derek Murphy got his second point of the afternoon from a pinpoint pass from David English, Arklow at this point changed around their forwards to try and get some momentum but this mobile Ballinkillen team refused to stop hurling with Craig Wall scoring from the wing on the bank side. The score of the first half came in the 25th minute with David English winning a hard ball making ground and delivering it long to the 21 for Tommy Cummins who came out went to the rafters plucked it out of the air turned under pressure and slotted it over the bar. Ballinkillen got their last score of the first half with a point from David English on the 27th minute from play. Arklow scored the last two points of the half from 65 which resulted in a great block by Lauren Kinsells at corner back and the free for a pick up by the Ballinkillen Defender. At half time the score was Ballinkillen 0-12 Arklow 0-5 with ballinkillen having 8 wides in the process.

The second half started with Duke making way for James Kinsella going in at Centre Back, English going to midfield. Peter Minchin started the second half as he did the first except this time he scored the next 3 points in the 2nd 3rdand 5th minutes from hard work by the defence and good passes from Marty, Michael Murphy and English. Murphy who replaced Tommy Cummins (inj) on the 35th minute. Arklow were working hard but could not come to terms with the work rate and vision of the Ballinkillen players in the middle third of the field. Craig Wall scored on the 7th from a pass by English who was playing well at centre field. James Kinsella holding Centre back well his first game back looked fit and comfortable gave a great pass to Minchin to score again. Dion Wall at this point made his Senior Debut by going in right half-back for john Hughes. In doing so Dion was in no manner out of his depth and showed there is a bright future ahead of him with his work rate and tenacity on a number of occasions. David English provided the passes for Craig Wall to score the next two scores before Arklow got their first score of the second half in the 18th minute.

If Tommy Cummins got the score of the first half the score of the scone half came when a long ball was allowed through by Peter Minchin for Darren Dalton to pick up and slot over the bar, this showed the vision and understanding that the team is capable of when tuned in. Darren Scored the next when peter Minchin played and ball back from the corner to the 45m line for Darren to slot over.

Peter Minchin had the final say with his best performance in scoring his 5th in the half and 6th for game from free by English. This performance was a good workman like effort and shows what the team can achieve if they keep doing the hard work asked.

Next Match in next Saturday in Mulinavat with St, Bridgids of Westmeath on Monday a win here gets a playoff place.

Team: Martin Minchin, John Hughes, Sean Minchin, Lauren Kinsella, Keith Lennon, David English 0-2, Sean Murphy 0-1, Andrew Gaul 0-2, Craig Wall 0-5, Peter Minchin 0-6, Darren Dalton 0-3, Derek Murphy 0-1, Marty Dalton 0-1, Vincent Meaney, Tommy Cummins 0-1. Subs: James Kinsella for A. Gaul, Michael Murphy for Tommy Cummins, Dion Wall for John Hughes, Frankie Dowling and Val Brooks