Match Reports‎ > ‎

Kilkenny Hurling League (Iverk): Tullogher/Rosbercon v Ballinkillen

posted 21 Apr 2012, 07:01 by Unknown user
Tullogher/ Rosbercon 0-6 Ballinkillen 2-13

Ballinkillen played their second game of the league last Saturday 14th April away to Tullogher on a cold evening. Again, Ballinkillen started slowly. After their first attack, the home team got the first score in the 2nd minute when their wing forward picked up on a ball that should have been cleared. Tullogher passed the ball around with effect and were causing problems for the Ballinkillen defence and had a number of wides from all areas of the pitch.

It took until the 9th minute for the next score - a goal by Marty Dalton who finished well when Craig Wall delivered the final pass after running thought the home defence. A minute later Peter Minchin opened his account with a point after Darren Dalton blocked his man from clearing. On the 13th minute Tullogher scored from play after Sean Minchin was deemed to have fouled.

The Tullogher midfield added another after good cross field passing to open the Ballinkillen rearguard, leaving the score at 1-1 to 0-3 for the visitors.  At this stage. Ballinkilllen had hit 6 wides including a goal opportunity.

David English scored from a placed ball after Michael Murphy was fouled. Craig Wall and David English scored from play with Darren Dalton giving the decisive pass for both scores. Marty scored the next and was fouled immediately afterwards, for English to pop over another. The visitors scored again from a free by English when Dion Wall was fouled. Tullogher got the final score of the half, picking up a poor clearance on the wing to leave the score Tullogher trailing 0-4 to 1-7 at the break. Ballinkillen were playing the better game having hit 10 wides in this period after having the breeze.

Tullogher opened the scoring in the second half with a free and it looked like the home side had intent, but David English was getting more into the game and scored two frees when Michael Murphy and Lauren Kinsella were fouled.

Tullogher scored anther free for holding on the 7th minute - this to be their last score of the game. The gamed ebbed and flowed for 10 minutes without a score when David English scored a free after Craig Wall was fouled. In the closing stages of the game Darren Dalton worked hard to win ball and attack, passing to Dion Wall who ran at the opposition and gave the final pass to Frankie Dowling to finish. Frankie came in for Vincent Meaney and added an amount of life and movement to the forwards.

A minute later Sean Murphy moved up the field and found himself 30m out, allowing him to slot over a point for his account. David English scored the last point of the game with a free. Leaving the final score at 2-13 to 0-06 for the visitors.

The backs had the upper hand for most of this match, after the first ten minutes, with the forwards starting to move well once they got the measure of the Tullogher defence. In truth this is a match that Ballinkillen could have won by more but will be happy with a job completed and points tucked in the bag for the journey home.

Team: Martin Minchin, John Hughes, John Ryan, Sean Minchin, Sean Murphy 0-1, James Kinsella, Lauren Kinsella, David English 0-8, Craig Wall, Peter Minchin 0-1, Darren Dalton, Michael Murphy 0-1, Dion Wall 0-1, Vincent Meaney, Marty Dalton 1-1. Subs: Frankie Dowling 1-0, Keith Lennon,