Match Reports‎ > ‎

Kilkenny Hurling League: Mullinavat v Ballinkillen

posted 9 Apr 2012, 13:33 by Unknown user

Mullinavat 2-14 Ballinkillen 0-14

Ballinkillen played their first match in the Kilkenny Hurling League on Easter Saturday and it must be said that between the 2nd and 9th minute the team must have been distracted by the Easter Ceremonies as they gave the home team a dream head start, conceding 2-05 in that 7 minutes. The scores came from all angles, with the Mullinavat team throwing the ball around at their leisure as is the custom of Kilkenny teams. The home team started with four points then hit with two goals on the 7th minute, both from silly mistakes and lack of concentration. They scored again with a point on the 9th minute. At this stage the Ballinkillen team decided to get closer and work harder but did not get the scoring going until the 18th minute. A free by David English from 50m out followed a foul on Peter Minchin. At this point the score was Mullinavat 2-09 to Ballinkillen's 0-1. The feeling was that this was going to be a bad day at the office for the visitors.

The remainder of the half was more competitive with Ballinkillen scoring 3 more frees from David English for fouls on Michael Murphy 18min, Craig Wall on the 21st and another on the 25th minute. The home team were held scoreless from the 18th minute until the stroke of half time when they slotted over 2 points to leave the score 2-11 to 0-04 at the break. In this half David English and John Hughes were hurling with intelligence and strength with the rest of the team working to get back into the game and making strides as each minute passed apart from the first 10 minutes of the half when they allowed the damage to be done.

In the second half Ballinkillen started with a determination to claw back the score. They started with a brace of frees from English for fouls on Frankie Dowling and James Kinsella - both fouled when taking on their opponents, Craig Wall slotted over a point from play after receiving a pass from English. On the 12th minute David English got Ballinkillen's fourth point from a free when Marty Dalton was fouled. This resulted from Ballinkillen players getting out in front and taking their opponents on which is how the next point came in the 13th minute when Peter Minchin won the ball and passed to Craig who slotted home a point. At this point the visitors had scored 5 to 1 in the second half. From the 21st to the 26th minutes David English scored 4 frees from all angles with 2 in reply from the home team. The final score coming from Craig Wall, running onto a well timed pass from Frankie Dowling - leaving the score line 2-14 for Mullinavat, Ballinkillen 0-14.

This game will not be remembered for the result but for two other factors, the first being the start given to the home team and the workman like attitude to get back into the game. Ballinkillen could have had one or two goals only for good blocks by the defence at vital times. David English had one of his best performances in the Ballinkillen jersey scoring 0-11 as did John Hughes in blocking controlling and delivering good ball to the forwards. Craig wall and Peter Minchin working and running at angles to create scores.

Team: Martin Minchin, John Hughes, Sean Minchin, Lauren Kinsella, John Ryan, James Kinsella, Sean Murphy, David English 0-11, Craig Wall0-3, Derek Murphy, Darren Dalton, Peter Minchin, Michael Murphy, Marty Dalton, Vincent Meaney. Subs: Frankie Dowling for Vincent Meaney, Dion Wall for James Kinsella