Match Reports‎ > ‎

Leinster Senior Hurling League - Round 3: Ballinkillen v St. Bridgid's

posted 9 Apr 2012, 14:21 by Unknown user   [ updated 11 Apr 2012, 04:35 ]

Ballinkillen 3-10 St. Brigid's 0-9

Ballinkillen had to get a result in this game, played in Ballinkillen on Easter Monday, in order to proceed to the knockout stages of the Leinster League. They did so in a workman like performance against a travelling team who performed poorly on the day. The team now progresses to the knockout stage with a draw being made for two teams to go through to semi-finals on the 5th May, the other four teams playing quarter-finals on the 21st April.

Ballinkillen started with a wide from the first attack. From the puck out John Ryan won a free for a push which David English pointed from the half way mark. English again provided a long delivery in front of Dion Wall who got out in front of his man, collected and pointed for his first senior score. He did not wait long to add to his tally as he repeated the act a minute later from a perfect delivery cross field by Darren Dalton. Dion was in form again in front of goal but was fouled as he was heading goalward. The 21 yard free resulted in a fierce shot to the back of the net by David English. 5 minutes gone, 1-03 to no score up. On the 8th minute st. Brigid's opening score came from their corner forward who pointed from the side line, taking advantage of the space given by the defence.

Marty Dalton could have had a goal a minute later but saw his fine effort drift over the bar, Dion Wall was fouled again and English scored on the 11th minute. Craig Wall stepped up to add to the Wall show with a point following good work between Darren Dalton and Michael Murphy to set him up. The backs were solid with James Kinsella controlling the half back line and John Hughes and Sean Minchin controlling the Goal area.

For the next 10 minutes between the 15th and 25th St. Bridgid's got 4 points from frees to give them some hope, the frees coming from a lack of concentration. This left the score with 5 minutes to go to half time: 1-06 to 0-05. It was Dion Wall and English time again as Dion was fouled. The 21-yard free was stuck in the top of the net by English who scored the last score of the half from a free to leave the score at half time 2-07 to 0—05 for the home team.

In truth, Ballinkillen should have been much further ahead, having hit 9 wides in the first half. In the second half scores were hard to come by. Sean Murphy moved to Centre Field which helped his game. John Ryan opened the scoring in the first minute, collecting the ball on his 65, carrying 20m and striking over the bar. The game died for a time as Ballinkillen sensed they had enough done when English scored from a free on the ninth minute following a foul on Marty Dalton as he ran at the opposition. In the 13th minute St. Brigid's scored and again twice more in the 15th minute to wake up Ballinkillen. The home team responded with a move which resulted in Michael Murphy handpassing to Dion Wall who finished to the net. Dion must be happy with his day's work,  having scored 1-02 and contributed to another 2-2. Niall Murphy went in Corner Forward, Dion to wing back for Keith Lennon after this.

The last Ballinkillen score of the game came on the 20th minute from Peter Minchin, finishing off a pass from Darren Dalton. The opposition scored twice in the last minutes from placed balls to leave the score 3-10 to 0-09 with Ballinkillen progressing.

The team worked well with the defence on top overall, English and Wall controlling midfield and forwards starting to get out in front, working hard and taking their men on. Dion Wall showing good form.

Team: Martin Minchin, John Hughes, Sean Minchin, Keith Lennon, John Ryan 0-1, James Kinsella, Lauren Kinsella, David English 2-4, Craig Wall 0-1, Peter Minchin 0-1, Darren Dalton, Sean Murphy, Dion Wall 1-2, Marty Dalton 0-1, Michael Murphy. Subs Michael Murphy for Keith Lennon