Match Reports‎ > ‎

Ballinkillen v St. Peter's Dunboyne - Leinster Senior Hurling League

posted 28 Jan 2012, 12:37 by Neil McLoughlin   [ updated 23 Apr 2012, 23:35 by Unknown user ]
Ballinkillen seniors played their first competitive fixture for 2012 in Dunboyne on bank Holiday Monday winning by 7 points in a hard fought match. Ballinkillen scored first with a well taken point from Craig Wall on receiving a well timed pass from Duke. Niall Hacket responded with two frees for the home side but Ballinkillen replied with four points from play by Duke in the 8th and 10th minute, Craig Wall in the 11th and Duke again in the 13th. All scores coming from well worked moves by holding possession and connecting with the players moving in from mid field.

In the 17th minute, Dunboyne’s corner forward got their first score from play from a long ball by their wing back Ger Murphy into space for Gavin to score under pressure from John Hughes. From the puckout, Ballinkillen worked the ball up the wing and crossed a diagonal ball for Marty Dalton to collect and slot over for the visitors to go 6 to 3 up playing with a stiff breeze.

The game seemed to turn with Hacket scoring 2 points from pay in the 22nd minute but for Duke to score from a placed ball 35mts out, slightly to the left. Craig Wall slotted another over from play on the 24th minute after a good delivery from David English. Dunboyne got a dubious free in front of goal 45mts out when David English and Lauren Kinsella were fighting for the ball, which Hackett again slotted over. On the puckout their wing back delivered a ball in front of the full forward who duly scored and the half finished with Hackett scoring immediately after Duke to leave the score at half time 10 points to 0-9 in favour of Ballinkillen - but with a stiff breeze to face in the second half.

Craig Wall started the second half as he did the first by slotting over a point from a delivery from Sean Murphy in the 35th minute. Ballinkillen's defence came to the fore with Sean Minchin solid at Full back, David English at Centre clearing a lot of ball to the advantage of their forwards, Sean Murphy and Lauren Kinsella working hard blocking and hooking, Lauren hurling with freedom after being moved from Corner Back. Keith Lennon also working hard, bringing the ball out with him on numerous occasions. David stepped up between the 13th and 21st minute to score 3 frees and leave the score 0-14 to 0-10 with 10 minutes left. Hackett for Dunboyne scored a line ball from 30 yards out to put one score between the sides.

Just prior to this Frankie Dowling had replaced Tommy Cummins after Tommy ran everything down and gave his marker a tough time, with Frankie going to wing forward and Daryl Roberts going into Full Forward only for Daryl to score a cheeky goal from a pass from Marty Dalton and then a point out on the wing to put some daylight between the teams. Dunboyne scored their last score from a placed ball by Hacket only for Marty to finish the game scoring with a point in the 32nd minute.

The team worked hard as a unit with a good showing from Sean Murphy, David English, Craig and Duke in Centre Field scoring 8 points between them from play. The forwards working well off the ball to create space with Marty Dalton scoring 0-3 from play. Darren Dalton being very effective at centre forward using the ball with great intelligence.

Next round of this competition is at home on 31st March against Arklow Rocks.

Team as follows: Martin Minchin, John Hughes, Sean Minchin, Lauren Kinsella, Keith Lennon, David English (0-3Frees), Sean Murphy, Andrew Gaul 0-5 (1 free), Craig Wall 0-4, Daryl Roberts 1-1, Darren Dalton, Peter Minchin, Marty Dalton 0-3, Vinny Meaney, Tommy Cummins. Subs Frankie Dowling, Dion Wall, Niall Murphy.